What To Do With Curtains That Are Too Long
Long curtains can be a pain to manage, but they can cover baseboards properly. Besides, there are a few things to do with curtains that are too long to make them useful and easy to manage.
One important thing is to have a good quality curtain rod installed correctly. We will look at others in the section below.
6 Things To Do With Curtains That Are Too Long
If you have curtains that are too long, you can do these three things:
- Use tiebacks or holdbacks to keep long curtains off the floor and away from the windows.
- Use a steamer to remove any wrinkles or creases from the fabric, and consider using a weighted hem to help keep long curtains in place.
- If you’re not confident in your sewing skills, you can take them to a tailor or seamstress.
- Another option is to buy a new rod longer than your old one and hang the curtains higher up on the wall. This way, you can adjust the height of the curtains to make them the perfect length.
- Moreover, you can buy a new pair of curtains that are the right size. This can be a bit more expensive, but it’s worth it if you can’t seem to get the length just right.
- You can also try to fold or bunch the excess fabric at the bottom of the curtains to give them a shorter look.
No matter what method you choose, measure twice and cut once. That way, you can avoid any costly mistakes.
Hacks for curtains that are too long
If your curtains are too long, there are a few hacks you can try to shorten them.
- Fold up the extra fabric at the bottom and sew it, creating a clean, finished look.
- Create a new hem. To do this, cut off the excess fabric at the bottom and sew a new hem. However, it can be a bit more time-consuming, but it will give your curtains a new look.
- Finally, if you are in a pinch, you can always hang the curtains higher up on the rod, which will take away some extra lengths.
If you are looking for a more traditional look for your curtains, or if you do not have a sewing machine, you can hem them by hand. It’s a bit more time-consuming, but it’s not difficult. Here is how to do it:
1. Measure the length of your curtain and mark the desired length with a piece of chalk.
2. Cut the fabric along the chalk line, leaving a few inches for hemming.
3. Fold over the raw edge of the fabric 1/2 inch and press with an iron.
4. Fold over again 1 inch and press.
How To shorten Curtains That Are Too Long with tape
If you are looking for a quick and easy way to shorten long curtains, tape is the way. Here’s how to do it:
1. Measure the length of the curtain from top to bottom.
2. Cut a piece of tape slightly shorter than the measurement.
3. Place the tape at the top of the curtain, ensuring that the edges are even.
4. Fold the bottom of the curtain up until it meets the tape.
5. Use a straight edge to create a clean, sharp fold.
6. Repeat on the other side of the curtain.
How To hem curtains That Are Too Long with double-sided tape
Double-sided tape is the way to go if you want a quick and easy way to shorten your curtains. All you need is a tape measure and scissors, and you can have your curtains trimmed in no time. Learn how to do it:
1. Measure the length of your curtains and cut them to size.
2. Apply double-sided tape to the top edge of the curtains.
3. Fold the fabric over the tape, pressing firmly to adhere.
4. Trim any excess fabric.
5. Hang your curtains and enjoy.
How To temporarily shorten Curtains That Are Too Long
If you need to shorten your curtains temporarily, you can use a few easy methods below:
- Fold up the curtain’s hem until it is the desired length.
- Use clips or binder clips to gather the fabric until it is the right size. You can also use a needle and thread to stitch up the hem until it is the desired length.
Whatever method you choose, be sure to remove the temporary alteration before laundering the curtains.
How long should curtains be in a living room?
Curtain length in a living room depends on the size, height of your windows, the style of your living room, and personal preferences.
Most people opt for curtains that are at least long enough to cover the entire window or hang just below the sill. This is because it will close the gaps between the curtains and the window, letting in light and making the room feel less cozy.
If you have tall windows, you may want to choose extra long curtains, so they puddle on the floor for a luxurious look.
How do you shorten long curtains without cutting them?
If you have long curtains too long for your windows, fold them up at the bottom so they are the right length. You can also tie a piece of string or ribbon around the bottom of the curtains to create a new hem.
How Can You Fix Curtains That Are Too Long Without Sewing Them?
Here are a few easy ways to fix long curtains without using a sewing machine:
1. Use a hand-held steamer; this is the quickest and easiest way to shorten curtains without sewing. Hold the steamer over the fabric and let the steam work.
2. Use a hot iron. If you don’t have a steamer, you can use a hot iron to shorten your curtains. Be sure to use a pressing cloth between the iron and the fabric to avoid damage.