Reasons why your mattress smells like garlic, could be bacteria, sweat, etc.
No one wants to sleep on a smelly mattress. You can feel uncomfortable and disturbed lying on such a mattress, especially if you do not know the cause of the bad smell.
Let us discuss why your mattress smells like garlic and how to eliminate it.
Why does my mattress smell like garlic?
Your mattress can smell like garlic because of humidity, sweat, bacteria, dust mites, and decomposing bodies. When the air outside is humid, it becomes difficult for people to breathe and stay cool inside their homes. The moist air will enter through open windows or doors and condense on the windows, walls, floors, ceilings, and furniture.
Sweat has a strong odor that can cling to mattresses, pillows, blankets, and other bedding and cause a smell. Bacteria can also be present, so it’s important to have your mattress regularly cleaned with anti-microbial products.
Dust mites are tiny and live in your bedding, especially your mattress, and their droppings cause a bad smell.
Garlic smell can linger for six weeks, depending on how long it has been in contact with the bed. It is possible to get rid of the garlic smell on your mattress by using a few household items you may have around the house.
How To Remove Garlic Smell From Mattress
You can remove the Garlic smell from your mattress by:
- Spraying the surface with vinegar and water,
- Vacuuming the entire surface of your mattress to remove any smell of garlic or leaving the bed outside to dry in direct sunlight for at least four hours.
- You can air out your mattress by opening the windows for a few hours, using a fan, or if there is space, take the mattress outside for airing.
- You can also sprinkle baking soda on it to help absorb any remaining smell.
- If the odor persists, try washing the mattress with soap and water or using a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to suck up any smelly particles.
Find out: How do you make a queen bed wider?
Some people find that baking soda and vinegar work well, while others find that essential oils and air fresheners work better.
The most effective plan is one that adapts to your specific needs and situation, such as:
- Using a fan or air conditioning unit, you can air out the room where the mattress is. If possible, air out the mattress outside on a nice day.
- Vacuuming the mattress,
- Use a baking soda solution: mix baking soda and water and sponge the mixture onto the mattress.
- Use an enzyme cleaner.
- Use vinegar and water solution to clean the surface of the mattress.
How long does garlic smell on my mattress take to go away?
The smell should dissipate within 24 hours as long as the mattress cover and sheets have been washed recently.
If you are using an all-natural cleaner, then it may take a few hours for the smell to dissipate. If you are using a commercial cleaner, it can take days or even weeks for the garlic odor to go away completely.
What happens if you sleep on a mattress that smells like garlic?
If you sleep on a mattress that smells like garlic, you will hardly feel comfortable, which could be why you wouldn’t want a visitor in your house. However, the garlic smell is not harmful to your health and will dissipate within a few days.
It would help if you cleaned your mattress by removing the cover, flipping it over, and spraying a layer of Lysol on top before putting it back on.
How do I ensure that my mattress doesn’t smell like garlic?
Changing your mattress cover frequently is a great way to prevent bad smells like garlic on your mattress. You can spray it with water and vinegar to prevent your mattress from smelling like garlic. Also, you can add some baking soda to the mixture for extra odor-fighting benefits.
Another way is to sprinkle baking soda on the underside of the mattress and let it sit for a while. Finally, you can use a “No More Garlic” product that covers up odors with natural ingredients such as lavender and grape.
Why does my new mattress smell like garlic?
Manufacturers often use natural materials like wool, cotton, and silk to attract attention and create a unique scent. So, the garlic smell is common with new mattresses and can be avoided by washing the mattress cover in cold water, killing bacteria.